Where to start as a complete beginner at modding?

DuneGrass

Sep 7, 2024
Hello, I apologize in advance if somebody's already asked this, but are there any links for tutorial specifically on modding for sm64coop?

I'm interested in making levels, and generally everything else, but it seems like the only information out there is for different forks of this modding stuff, and I'm not sure if the same things apply over to sm64coop.
I wasn't aware that sm64coop has its own specific fast64 version, fast64 Gart edition.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to export levels, or just generally format and make mods.
I have fast64 Gart edition, blender, and notepad++, is there any other software that I might need to install?
Do I need a decomp file while making levels and mods specifically for sm64coop?
Are there any differences modding for sm64coop than other versions of sm64? I'm wondering because the whole specific version of fast64, and am wondering what I might be able to learn from other documents which might not be specifically aimed at sm64coop but are still applicable.

If there's any tutorials on getting started with modding for sm64coop could you please link them my way? Thank you in advance.

Idk what fast64 you're talking about, however that's not at all required. If you're wanting to make levels, follow a regular fast64 tutorial, however before you do that, create a mod, here's how:

• Open up sm64coopdx
  • Head to Options->Misc->Open User/Appdata Folder
  • Open the mods folder
  • Create a new folder with your mod name
  • Create a file called main.lua, in this file put in this:

Code:
-- name: Mod Name
-- description: The Mod's Description

You can name the mod what you want, and set the mod's description to what you want

- Create a folder called levels

Ok! You did the setup on coop's end! Now for fast64!

Generally follow a YouTube tutorial on fast64 as normal, when it comes time to export a level, do something else

When deciding what path to export the level to, instead of exporting it to decamp, hit the "Custom Export Path" toggle, and toggle that on. Now select the levels directory you created above. Set the level name to what you want (for now, have it replace a level like BOB, so set the level name to bob), and tada! Activate the mod, enter bob, and you should see your level!

Troubleshooting:

If you do not see your custom level, the level may have failed to generate, hit the ~ button or F1 to open up the console, and see what went wrong.

If you have any questions lmk!

Idk what fast64 you're talking about, however that's not at all required. If you're wanting to make levels, follow a regular fast64 tutorial, however before you do that, create a mod, here's how:

• Open up sm64coopdx
  • Head to Options->Misc->Open User/Appdata Folder
  • Open the mods folder
  • Create a new folder with your mod name
  • Create a file called main.lua, in this file put in this:

Code:
-- name: Mod Name
-- description: The Mod's Description

You can name the mod what you want, and set the mod's description to what you want

Generally follow a YouTube tutorial on fast64 as normal, when it comes time to export a level, do something else

When deciding what path to export the level to, instead of exporting it to decamp, hit the "Custom Export Path" toggle, and toggle that on. Now select the levels directory you created above. Set the level name to what you want (for now, have it replace a level like BOB, so set the level name to bob), and tada! Activate the mod, enter bob, and you should see your level!

Troubleshooting:

If you do not see your custom level, the level may have failed to generate, hit the ~ button or F1 to open up the console, and see what went wrong.

Fast64 Gart edition is a version made by @ManIsCat2 that adds quality of life features for COOPDX modders, such as recolorability and SMLUA animation exports. Link: GitHub - ManIsCat2/Fast64-Gart

Troubleshooting:

Hi, thank you for responding, I tried following your instructions as well as the tutorial on youtube but for some reason I keep getting this error:

[WinError 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'C:\\Users\\AAA\\AppData\\Roaming\\sm64coopdx\\mods\\CustomLevels\\levels\\Documents\\bob'

Do I need to make a file named bob before I export?
It also says it won't write headers or dependencies, do I need to make some lua files for those before I can export this out of blender?

Hi, thank you for responding, I tried following your instructions as well as the tutorial on youtube but for some reason I keep getting this error:

[WinError 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'C:\\Users\\AAA\\AppData\\Roaming\\sm64coopdx\\mods\\CustomLevels\\levels\\Documents\\bob'

Do I need to make a file named bob before I export?
It also says it won't write headers or dependencies, do I need to make some lua files for those before I can export this out of blender?
Hello, just a quick update, I finally managed to get it properly exported, for some reason blender added that \\documents at the end of the path and that's what was causing the error.

Reactions: EmeraldLockdown

Users who are viewing this thread