eeliottheking

Modsite guy
Staff member
Mar 6, 2024
Indianapolis, IN
mods.sm64coopdx.com
Pronouns
He / Him
The results are in! The mod of the month competition for May will be game modes! What potential rules or restrictions should be put in place for the competition? Things to consider:

1. Should groups or teams be allowed?
2. Should this competition be for new game modes exclusively, or should levels/extensions of existing game modes be allowed?
3. Should we include mods currently in the making, but not yet completed?

Post what you think below!

I think it's fine for people to make teams, I think new game modes would be more exciting than just extension of already existing ones though. As for the third question I don't really have a preference, although I could see why it'd be unfair for people who started making a mod just for this competition now to compete against people who already have stuff done.

> 1. Should groups or teams be allowed?
Yes, 100%. Lot's of gamemode makers typically ask people for help with models or textures.
> 2. Should this competition be for new game modes exclusively, or should levels/extensions of existing game modes be allowed?
Don't see why not, since it's up to the people what wins
> 3. Should we include mods currently in the making, but not yet completed?
That's a complicated one. I'm still pretty neutral on it, and haven't come to an opinion on it yet.

Yes. Gamemodes take more effort than most mods, due to how much they shake up the gameplay. A team effort makes things a little easier on everyone involved!

2. Should this competition be for new game modes exclusively, or should levels/extensions of existing game modes be allowed?
New gamemodes are always nice. However, if someone wants to submit their own take on an existing gamemode, I think that's fine too as long as it's not an edit of an existing gamemode's code, but rather a fully original take. Levels/extensions should be their own category if included.

Incomplete gamemodes should totally be allowed if finished in time for the competition, but maybe there should be some clarification on if it's something that's been started prior to the competition's start.

Yes! Teams should be allowed 100%. Game modes are extra demanding so I don't see an issue with that.
No. I think it's already hard to define that line between new. IF it's a super heavy modification of something existing I could see that being allowed, but I think the most voted is going to be a new one anyway. I wouldn't have an issue to extensions.
Yes! This could be the motivation for some to finish the gamemode they've been working on! It's also hard to tell if someone had already been working on something anyway, so I don't see why not.

Yes. Would make things easier and provide better gamemodes.

I think having Gamemodes Extension would be okay, in the end, it's more content for the community.

Yeah, again it would be more content for the community

Reactions: Chilly
I also think maybe just a "Mod Competition" might be better than "mod of the month". I think that maybe a bigger time frame would be beneficial as we continue to decide details and May continues to pass.

I also think maybe just a "Mod Competition" might be better than "mod of the month". I think that maybe a bigger time frame would be beneficial as we continue to decide details and May continues to pass.
I agree, maybe there could be a competition for every individual mod type, and experts on that specific type can judge it, a-la SHC, we could even collab with Squishy for their CS competition thing!

I completely agree! More than a month can allow for some great mods to come out!

I do agree with long time, the CS competition took a month so that people don't feel rushed about it, and i would prefer not pushing people to crunch on mods of all things!

What else is there to discuss however? I'm itching for a competition >:)

Last edited:
July 1st would be in a month and a half, maybe july 15th? Or like 2 months after the start of the competition.

Having talked to other modders, people are excited to start modding and some were even confused about the start, so maybe start it soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread