In-Dialogue Character Names

JonTheLGuy64

Mar 27, 2024
Pronouns
He/Him
GJphGJJXUAAl8dW

I always found it weird how everyone still refers to your character as "Mario" despite you probably not playing as Mario. What if we had a feature or mod that changes NPC text to have them say the name of the character you're playing as?

This would be interesting. I believe dialogue is handled by the ROM that is currently being played, if so this would be difficult to accomplish perfectly.
Perhaps adding a conditional that replaces "Mario" in dialogue boxes with either the selected character, or the player's username.

Reactions: Chilly and Jarks04
This would be interesting. I believe dialogue is handled by the ROM that is currently being played, if so this would be difficult to accomplish perfectly.
Perhaps adding a conditional that replaces "Mario" in dialogue boxes with either the selected character, or the player's username.
I'd personally prefer selected character over username, and it'd be cool if there was a way for Character Select to make use of such a system as well for custom skins/characters, so those names can show up in dialogue as well.

Reactions: SuperKirbylover
GJphGJJXUAAl8dW

I always found it weird how everyone still refers to your character as "Mario" despite you probably not playing as Mario. What if we had a feature or mod that changes NPC text to have them say the name of the character you're playing as?
Now that Coop DX v1.0's been released for some time now, just wanted to bring up this suggestion again

Users who are viewing this thread