Anybody else hope that there could eventually be some kind of community collaboration?

BuckleyTim

Modder
Mar 24, 2024
In the arena!
So now that the forum is open, I've kinda been having a think on ways to really take advantage of the site's format and maybe also strengthen the community's ties. As someone who's always been interested in Doom mapping and mooding I've obviously looked towards that community for ideas, and that's left me with the desire for some kind of COOPDX community collab to happen in the future.

Given the modular nature of map replacements in this game, it makes me wonder if the community could end up replicating the "community megawad" that happens every now and then from Doom forums. Obviously it's still a lot of work, but the way I envision it is that if everyone built a course or a secret area over the span of a month or two we'd have an original 120-star hack in a (RELATIVELY) short time. Throw in a few custom behaviors that anyone in the project could use and I think something really interesting would happen.

On that note, I hope we can do a contest or two in the future. I love mapping contests too for what they get people to do through certain limitations. Hopefully a contest in something like Arena mapping comes up; an "asymmetrical arena map" contest or the like would be a dream for me (though I'm certainly going to attempt the concept regardless of outside influence).

Now I realize that this all takes a lot of effort and time to set up, and I probably wouldn't be the person to host this kind of event given how much I'm doing IRL these days... but it's fun to speculate about, and this seems like the next obvious step for the community to take in terms of seeing what can be done in PC Coop.

One of the new features of the new website is that there can be mod "teams". Users will be able to collaborate, publish and release content as a group rather than just under one user.

I'm sure we will definitely hold some competitions. I plan personally to bring back at least the "mod of the month" competition once things get rolling. As I continue to add trophies to our trophy system, we will want to incentivize/reward users who submit outstanding content and work.

Users who are viewing this thread