Adding Peach

JaxInvasion

Apr 3, 2024
Pronouns
she/they/he
Hi, this is my first ever forum post so forgive me for potentially not adhering to any culture or expectations. I'm pretty damn new!

Anyway, I was wondering if I should try to learn modding so I can play as Peach with unique voices 'n' what-not. I have this one Peach animation/model patch made by DrySkeleton that would save a lot of time learning how to make and animate 3D models, but I'm not even sure if you guys would accept my usage of such a thing! In addition, I don't want to waste my time adding Peach when she's already in the works. Hell, Yoshi too, since I do want to learn Lua so I can eventually make a Mario Party game in Roblox one day.

Hypothetically, even if I were to code in Peach and she works like a dream, could she even come with SM64 Coop DX? Like how there are built-in characters like Luigi and Toad. I ask 'cause I kinda dread the thought of needing to walk my friends through the process of adding her to their games. I dunno.

I also have no clue how to mod DX I have a 15 minute Youtube crash course on Lua and Agent X's tutorials for SM64 EX Coop and the github tutorials opened in other tabs as well as bookmarked. If you guys have any free resources you can share, that'd help a lot. Thank you for reading!!

PS: I have no fucking clue what to put for my tags... I may need help with that too. Certified forum newbie moment.

Hi there, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. As long as you get permission from DrySkeleton and credit them properly, I don't see a reason why they'd not accept you turning their animation and model into a proper mod for Coopdx. Granted, I think on the older iteration of the site there was at least one Peach mod. I can't vouch for it's quality, though, and don't know if it'll be archived here. I do know there were yoshi and yoshi moveset mods there so I'd wait and see if those also get archived in the next few weeks.

2. If you want to learn modding, I'd suggest looking at the included character select "additional characters" mod as its lua code and assets can be applied to making your own character with a custom voicetable. Custom model tutorial videos are already on youtube so I won't list them here, but there's also a coopdx model template here that contains all the animations that mario can do + has a tutorial readme to show you how to do recolorability + custom animations.

3. I think if any new built-in characters come to coopdx, they'll be developed within the dev team. Though getting another fan's mod working in coopdx is usually as easy as dragging the mod's unzipped folder into the mods folder. After that, if it's a character select mod you just enable it alongside the normal CS mod, and then type "/char-select" into chat when you're playing to switch characters/

4. In addition, there's both lua documentation on the github for coopdx and example mods you can crib code from.

It's the best resource you can have for coding (besides the modding help forums... I'd suggest the excoop discord but it's hit or miss if anyone will help you since it's like 20,000 tweens with mario avatars in there lol).

Reactions: JaxInvasion

1. As long as you get permission from DrySkeleton and credit them properly, I don't see a reason why they'd not accept you turning their animation and model into a proper mod for Coopdx. Granted, I think on the older iteration of the site there was at least one Peach mod. I can't vouch for it's quality, though, and don't know if it'll be archived here. I do know there were yoshi and yoshi moveset mods there so I'd wait and see if those also get archived in the next few weeks.

2. If you want to learn modding, I'd suggest looking at the included character select "additional characters" mod as its lua code and assets can be applied to making your own character with a custom voicetable. Custom model tutorial videos are already on youtube so I won't list them here, but there's also a coopdx model template here that contains all the animations that mario can do + has a tutorial readme to show you how to do recolorability + custom animations.

3. I think if any new built-in characters come to coopdx, they'll be developed within the dev team. Though getting another fan's mod working in coopdx is usually as easy as dragging the mod's unzipped folder into the mods folder. After that, if it's a character select mod you just enable it alongside the normal CS mod, and then type "/char-select" into chat when you're playing to switch characters/

4. In addition, there's both lua documentation on the github for coopdx and example mods you can crib code from.

It's the best resource you can have for coding (besides the modding help forums... I'd suggest the excoop discord but it's hit or miss if anyone will help you since it's like 20,000 tweens with mario avatars in there lol).
Reminder that dress character templates are still to be added, so I'd reccomend you wait for that to be in a useable state before anything.

Reactions: JaxInvasion

Rad, omg! Thank you so much! I will definitely check the links out. :D

That also helps me a lot. And yes, I am trying to become a modder.

Reactions: MlopsFunny

Users who are viewing this thread