Mesh override and mirror Mario questions

BobbyjoeX

May 23, 2024
Pronouns
she/her
Sorry I'm making another thread so soon, hope it's not a problem...

So I got two questions relating to the override function i discovered in my last post along with a question relating to the model that shows up in the mirror and i wanted to ask more skilled modders before i up and break something...

Is it possible to add other expressions, for example if Mario picked up a star, he has a different facial expression when doing the peace sign?

Second question is if its possible to have another article of clothing stolen instead of his hat, in my case, i want to make a a model of a character who's got a jacket and if that could be stolen/blown off instead (reason I'm not sure and wanted to ask about this one is because it involves overriding 5 parts of the model).

Now for the mirror question. Is it possible to have a different model show up in the mirror? from what i have seen, the model that shows up is an inverted version of the existing model whether its Mario or the character you are playing as. the reason i ask is if say the custom character doesn't have an exact reflection or have features that will only show up in it or they are a vampire so only their clothes appear?

Solution
It's possible to add a Victory expression, some of the characters in Paper partners have this (mostly the characters without arms), you simply duplicate (or move) the right hand switch to before the eye material switch in the bone hierarchy, remove the last two options and change the second one to a material override, specific one and choose which texture will be the victory, and which will be replaced. Make sure to also make the first option a specific material override with no material to averride to "neutralize" it or youll have texture changes underwater.

For the jacket being stolen, yes to that too, same principle, you DUPLICATE the hatless switch this switch to where you want, youll have to copy the armature after and delete any...
It's possible to add a Victory expression, some of the characters in Paper partners have this (mostly the characters without arms), you simply duplicate (or move) the right hand switch to before the eye material switch in the bone hierarchy, remove the last two options and change the second one to a material override, specific one and choose which texture will be the victory, and which will be replaced. Make sure to also make the first option a specific material override with no material to averride to "neutralize" it or youll have texture changes underwater.

For the jacket being stolen, yes to that too, same principle, you DUPLICATE the hatless switch this switch to where you want, youll have to copy the armature after and delete any bone before the hatless switch and make a switch bone.

All of this require a more thorough tutorial to be clear. But it's all possible, Paper Partners is proof of that. Lakilester has his cloud blown off, the way i did that is basically replacing the ENTIRE model at the root of the mesh bones.
Like always with bone changing, you have to be careful so i haven't mentionned any pitfalls.

Honestly thinking about making calls where i make lessons about mario 64 armature to teach modders. (Wish i knew how to edit videos though)

For the mirror, ive never messed with it, small feature and also tends to break sometimes.

Solution

For the jacket being stolen, yes to that too, same principle, you DUPLICATE the hatless switch this switch to where you want, youll have to copy the armature after and delete any bone before the hatless switch and make a switch bone.

All of this require a more thorough tutorial to be clear. But it's all possible, Paper Partners is proof of that. Lakilester has his cloud blown off, the way i did that is basically replacing the ENTIRE model at the root of the mesh bones.
Like always with bone changing, you have to be careful so i haven't mentionned any pitfalls.

Honestly thinking about making calls where i make lessons about mario 64 armature to teach modders. (Wish i knew how to edit videos though)

For the mirror, ive never messed with it, small feature and also tends to break sometimes.
I wil have to try that. the part when you said if i don't neutralize it, it would cause expressions to appear when swimming, is that another expression option that would be easy enough to pull off?

Users who are viewing this thread